Re: apt-error

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 04:25:15PM +0100, Thomas Sjölin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a little problem with apt.
>
> Tried to make an 'apt-get update' and this is what I got:
>
> ------
> E: Method ftp has died unexpectedly!
> /usr/lib/dpkg//methods/apt/update : line 20      568 segmentation fault
> $APTGET $OPTS update
>
> update avaliable list script returned error exit status 139
> --------
>
> This was from choosing update within dselect. If I do it manually in the
> shell I only got 'E: Method ftp has died unexpectedly!' and 'segmentation
> fault'

I have a similar problem with mvme167.  Ftp'd slink boot disks, base, etc.
Set up to use tftp from an i86 Debian system.  Boot went ok, install
of boot disks and base system went ok.  Skipped dselect step.
Did not update sources.list so they are as supplied on the base system.
Did apt-get update, all ok.  Did apt-get upgrade, apt and dpkg were
upgraded.  After which apt-get <update!install!upgrade> segfaults.

Reinstalled whole system, did dselect, did apt-get update, did
apt-get dselect-upgrade, all went ok.  Now apt-get <update|
install|upgrade> segfaults.

--
jcz@ziplink.net (Jim Ziegler)