Re: Oops X 4.0? Last stable version on Debian was 3.2 was it not??

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, david ellison wrote:

> Am I right in saying that we are still on version 3.2 for X windows?

As Christan said: yes, but we're also on Debian 2.1 aka slink yet. Only
security related fixes are allowed into the later update releases as a
rule (r5 currently) so X doesn't get updated. It's a matter of policy,
take it up with the cabal on debian-devel please.

> If not, does any-one know when we will get a newer version in the stable distribution.

Never. We may get a new release (2.2 aka potato in freze since awhile) but
as XFree 4.0 was released only a short while ago potato will release with
3.3.6.

<ObXRant>
Looking at the sorry state of framebuffer device bases X server support I
am sure everybody will be happy to keep XFree 3.3.6 around for a while.
There's no m68k framebuffer support except for Amiga frame buffer devices.
There's more general problems with the 'one size fits all' X server
architecture: X outsmarts the kernel framebuffer driver on PPC instead of
leaving it alone so ATI Rage Pro based Macs won't work anymore, plus some
minor grievances. Yes you read me right: no one bothered to work on Atari
or Mac framebuffer code when Geert asked for m68k XFree maintainers a year
or so back. So there's not going to be any support it seems.
Forget XFree 4.0.
</ObXRant>

>I've tried installing the unstable side but it was no good for my needs
>:)

;-P I'm glad you didn't resort to fudging around with a libc upgrade in
order to rectify this.