woody-AndX-veryslow(Newbie)

First install attempt.

I started with the base slink and upgraded to woody.  Very nice look to X
but with enlightenment and gnome I am running unusably slow.  I am using
the 2.2.10 kernel and modules that I grabbed off the net.  The machine is
a Centris650 with 32mb or ram.

I screwed up a previous slink install but had gotten X to run and the
speed was acceptable.

Do I need a lighter window manager, tons more ram, a customized kernel
built agains glibc-2?  What are others using with similar hardware with
blazing X speed?

Remember I'm new at this!