Re: Init and boot problem.

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 08:53:45AM +0100, R.S.L. wrote:

> Before I installed the latest version of util-linux of the potato on my slink
> system. After I get an error and I couldn't execute any command included in
You did not "install" the latest version, yesterday you wrote, you unpacked
it into the root directory. This can lead to unpredictable results, the sense
of a distribution is to use the distribution tools to install packages. For
debian this is dpkg -i. Unpacking the deb file is IN NO WAY equivalent to
INSTALLING, please read the documentation to dpkg.
Have you every tried to replace an important library? I think its nearly
impossible without dpkg, you have to stop demons, you have to run configure
scripts, etc. All this you have NOT done when you simply overwrote the slink
files. Now your potato files may be there, but the system does not know it,
nothing has been configured, etc pp. Now you wonder why your system does not
work anymore? I wouldnt.
man dpkg, "install" comes at the very top (ACTIONS) for a good reason.
In case you dont find the manpage anymore:

ACTIONS
       dpkg -i | --install package_file...
              Install the package. If --recursive or -R option is
              specified,  package_file  must refer to a directory
              instead.

              Installation consists of the following steps:

Debian Project            April 12, 1998                        2

DPKG(8)                  Debian GNU/Linux                 DPKG(8)

              1. Extract the control files of the new package.

              2. If another  version  of  the  same  package  was
              installed  before  the  new  installation,  execute
              prerm script of the old package.

              3. Run preinst script, if provided by the  package.

              4.  Unpack the new files, and at the same time back
              up the old files, so that if something goes  wrong,
              they can be restored.

              5.  If  another  version  of  the  same package was
              installed before the new installation, execute  the
              postrm  script  of  the old package. Note that this
              script is executed after the preinst script of  the
              new  package,  because new files are written at the
              same time old files are removed.

              6.  Configure  the  package.  See  --configure  for
              detailed information about how this is done.

Have you performed all those steps by hand in the correct order? Who told
you to use dpkg -x or -X to "install" packages? If its written in some
documentation, please lets correct that immediately.

> the util-linux archive (-> the error output was: Segmentation fault).
> So I installed the slink version of util-linux but I get always the same
> error. At the end, suddenly, I got that boot problem.
Reinstall slink.
It _is_ possible to get your system going again without reinstall (provided
you have not messed up more). You can boot with a different partition as
root (ie from an image) and "cross"-install packages to your other
partition. It is explained in the manpage, but I do not recommend that for
you to use.

Christian
--
Read the FAQ!                     http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html
Download the FAQ!   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/FAQ/FAQ.gz