Re: Sys V coff binary

> I've got some legacy cross-compile tools that currently are hosted on a
> 68000 VME crate running SysV Unix.  This machine is getting very creaky
> and I'm wondering if I could replace it with an apple/amega/etc running
> linux.  The question is will a 68k coff binary from another Unix platform
> run under linux - they are all character/file based tools, no GUI's or
> anything exotic. Would anybody be willing to see if they will run on a
> 68k-linux host?

Linux doesn't support the coff binary format. You could try to convert it
using objcopy if you add coff support to libbfd. If you have objcopy on
the sysv system, convert the binary into some format that Linux objcopy
can read (elf32-m68k, srec or the like).

Last, be prepared to write a library that interfaces between your binary
and the Linux libc (that library needs to be preloaded by the dynamic
loader as you will likely have symbols conflictig with libc) unless your
binary is linked statically.

Short answer: coff binaries are not supported by Linux, there may be
workarounds but you'll have a lot of work to make these old tools run.