Re: Util-linux problem.

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 01:25:12PM +0100, R.S.L. wrote:
> HI all,
> Hi Chris,
> I downloaded the latest version of util-linux which is the 2.10d-4. I had
> previously installed the version 2.9g-6.0.1.
> When I decompress the util-linux I get an error, and I can't execute any
> program:
>
> if I type hwclock for example this is the output:
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> So I tried to decompress the package in another directory than directly to / .
> I tried to execute the binary files like more, dmesg but I get always the same
> error. There is some problem whit the package
> or Did I do something wrong?
> I don't use dselect to decompress debian packages.
> I always used dpkg-deb command whit the option -X.
Dont do this, install packages with dpkg -i if you dont like dselect. use
dpkg -X only when you know what you are doing. I dont explain it now, read
the manpage.
We switched recently to glibc2.1, so the new binaries from potato probably
wont run with slink, without upgrading libc6. If you had used dpkg -i to
install, you would have seen that message. Do a full potato instalk if you
want to use precompiled binaries.

Try to download the _source_ packages of util-linux, unpack it with
dpkg-source -x, then do cd util-linux-2.10.whatever
and do dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot (with fakeroot installed of course).
This should work, if not, try reading the packaging manual or what not.
Another option is to dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo, but then you need to install
and configure sudo, I can not explain that now.
third option, build as root. Will work, but is usually not recommended.

Sorry, Im busy now, tonight goods for 2000DM were stolen from our
storeroom... oh what a week.

Christian
--
Read the FAQ!                     http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html
Download the FAQ!   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/FAQ/FAQ.gz