Re: Can someone spare some CPU time?

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 01:35:21PM +0000, Patryk ?ogiewa wrote:
> Napisane 03-Sty-00 przez: Henrik Farre...
> >I give up. I can't compile a new kernel on my system. I have really
> >tried everything I can, but I have failed.....
> >Now I ask you:
>
> I also haven't been able to compile any version of the kernel including the
> latest. The compiler fails sooner or later (depending on the config) with
> errors. I already asked about that before but with no reply.
What good would it be if somebody built you a kernel? Sooner or later, a new
kernel source will be out and you would have to ask again...
Nope, you have to do it yourself, AFAIR 2.2 is still considered unstable on
m68k, you have to build unstable kernels yourself. Precompiled (stable)
kernels can be found on sunsite, if thats not optimal for your hardware, get
the source and build one. If you have problems building the kernel (what is
the problem? Fails with errors is not a very good error description), ask the
linux-m68k list for help, I wonder if that is mentioned in the FAQ. But if
you ask them and want an answer, you should describe your problem a little
better.
Well, seems the FAQ is rather elaborate, I thought so:
6. The Kernel
      Recompiling Linux
            Finding The Sources
            What You Need to Recompile
            How to Compile

BTW 1 an 040 is a rather fast machine, I dont want to waste my CPU time
(even if it is faster) to build a kernel for 040 users, you can do it
yourself in reasonable time.

BTW 2 how would you install the kernel? You are using modules, so Id have to
make a kernel-iamge.deb out of it, do you know how to handle that? Or would
a tar file be ok? (No I will not build 2.2.x images now, thats really a
waste of time for me.)

BTW 3 dont you prefer if the people, who are maybe able to build such
kernels for you, continue to work on improving the debian distribution,
maybe even the kernel source?

Christian
--
Read the FAQ!                     http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html
Download the FAQ!   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/FAQ/FAQ.gz