Re: Can someone spare some CPU time?

Napisane 04-Sty-00 przez: Christian T. Steigies...
>On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 01:35:21PM +0000, Patryk ?ogiewa wrote:
>> Napisane 03-Sty-00 przez: Henrik Farre...
>> >I give up. I can't compile a new kernel on my system. I have really
>> >tried everything I can, but I have failed.....
>> >Now I ask you:
>>
>> I also haven't been able to compile any version of the kernel including the
>> latest. The compiler fails sooner or later (depending on the config) with
>> errors. I already asked about that before but with no reply.

>What good would it be if somebody built you a kernel? Sooner or later, a new
>kernel source will be out and you would have to ask again...
>Nope, you have to do it yourself

Yes! I agree. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my last post. I haven't asked
someone to compile a kernel for me. I simply asked (once upon a time) how do
people do it. I tried the 2.0.x with the m68k patches, 2.2.everything up to
2.2.13 AFAIR with the same results. I.e. NO results. Sooner or later there
were fatal errors that broke the make process.

>AFAIR 2.2 is still considered unstable on
>m68k, you have to build unstable kernels yourself. Precompiled (stable)
>kernels can be found on sunsite, if thats not optimal for your hardware, get
>the source and build one. If you have problems building the kernel (what is
>the problem? Fails with errors is not a very good error description), ask the
>linux-m68k list for help, I wonder if that is mentioned in the FAQ. But if
>you ask them and want an answer, you should describe your problem a little
>better.

Surely I know and understand but if it was a single, simple error that can be
described clearly it would be as easy as you wrote. The problem was (and is)
that - let's say - one configured a kernel config suitable for the destination
hardware. Starts making and the build process breaks on a source belonging to
"option A" so one goes to the config and turns this option off. Goes back to
'make' and then it breaks at "option E". He turns this one off too and in that
case the compile breaks at another thing and so on... It simply looked to me
that it is far from compilable state and thus I thought that either it is so
or I am missing something. It seems not to be a single, hardware dependent
problem that can be reported that easily.

>Well, seems the FAQ is rather elaborate, I thought so:
>6. The Kernel
>      Recompiling Linux
>            Finding The Sources
>            What You Need to Recompile
>            How to Compile

>BTW 1 an 040 is a rather fast machine, I dont want to waste my CPU time
>(even if it is faster) to build a kernel for 040 users, you can do it
>yourself in reasonable time.

Surely. If it worked. I spent already maaaany reasonable hours on fiddling
with the menuconfig and compiling again and again in reasonable time (even
more reasonable because it never went through to the end ;-)  but never got a
working kernel image.

>BTW 2 how would you install the kernel? You are using modules, so Id have to
>make a kernel-iamge.deb out of it, do you know how to handle that? Or would
>a tar file be ok? (No I will not build 2.2.x images now, thats really a
>waste of time for me.)

BTW it was not me who sent the config. I just answered his posting. I would be
glad being able to build anything out of the sources myself. I did it many
times for NetBSD/Amiga and the intel arch of Linux without any hassles like
that. Of course there happens to come out an error here or there, usually on
some more "exotic" options but never on so many and on such basics as e.g.
"ide.c"!

>BTW 3 dont you prefer if the people, who are maybe able to build such
>kernels for you, continue to work on improving the debian distribution,
>maybe even the kernel source?

I do prefer that. Truly! I would only want them to share an idea how do they
build working m68k (more specific: amiga/m68k) kernels out of those sources
that are available.

With compliments.

P.S. Yes. I know it is not a "debian specific problem". Still when I first
asked about that some time ago, I simply thought that "someone the hell must
have built those images on debian dists". And since I only use debian on every
platform I tested/used Linux as being IMHO the closest to the FSF, OS etc.
spirit - I asked here...

--
      / /
     / /