Re: SOLVED: Re: problem starting X....

Mike Lockwood wrote:

> The error about the PEX font file is a known problem that is not fatal,
> so you shouldn't worry about that.
>
> As for the X server, after you untar it, copy it to your /usr/X11R6/bin
> folder.  Then create a symbolic link from "X" to this X server, like:
>
> ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68FB /usr/X11R6/bin/X
>
> (I'm not sure what the name of the X server file is, so I am assuming it
> is XF68FB).

Mike.  Thank you for your help.  I followed to your addvice.
(It's XF68_FBDev, though.)
PEX font error disappered, but another error occured.
If I use kernel 2.2.10-19991015, following error appears.
Fatal server error:
fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process  (errno 3):  Server error.

And if I use kernel 2.0.36-990331, 'mac-sb pan not supported'
error on a white blinking page appears a couple of times, and
then, following error comes up.
Fatal server error:
Can't handle packed pixels with 0 bits per pixel
(Followings are the same as above.)

Does someone have an idea for this?

I am using slink on Q700 with old Apple's 15"RGB Monitor,
and installed twm, xbase-clients, xdm,xfonts-100dpi,
xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-base, xfonts-scalable, xfree86-common,
xlib6g, xlib6g-dev, xserver-common, xserver-fbdev, xterm.
I made a copy to /etc/X11/XF86Config, and changed mouse to
'adbmouse', and set gpm server with gpmconfig.
This time I changed frame buffer to 3.3.3.1 XF68FB.tzg.

Thank you.
H. Shibata