Re: Need your input for keymap configuration

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> [Cc'd since I don't know if you subscribe here.]
>
> On Nov 16, Yann Dirson wrote:
> > As you may have seen from recent bug reports ;), I'm currently adding
> > support for debconf-driven keymap choice to console-data and friends,
> > but need the following help for ppc/m68k machines:
> >
> > * what sub-architectures are there for each arch ?
> >   My guess: m68k -> atari, amiga, sun, next(, mac) ; ppc -> mac, RS/6000
>
> m68k: atari, amiga, sun, next, mac, q40 (last uses i386 keymaps I
> think).  VMEbus systems don't have keyboards, I think.

hp300, and I'm not sure on the keyboard support status for NeXT. NeXT is
not supported by Debian anyway (it will only netboot and use NFS root fs
due to lack of SCSI support).

> ppc: mac, rs/6000, amiga

Motorola, umax, other CHRP/PREP boxes ...

> > * what to those subarches use for a set keymap ?  It may be obvious
> >   for some, as we have the amiga, atari, mac, and sun sets of
> >   keyboards in /usr/share/keymaps/, but as there are several
> >   generations of machines for some sub-arches, I'd like to know all
> >   that is is to know in this field.
>
> At least on the Amiga, the keyboard interface is backward-compatible
> (extra keys were added after the A1000, but the keymaps for any other
> Amiga will work on an A1000).  I believe Ataris are the same.  I know
> NeXTs had two different types of keyboard interface (one type used
> Apple's interface, the other was proprietary).  Clueless on Macs and
> Suns.

Macs all use the same keyboard interface; the keyboards come in two
flavors ('extended' similar to standard 102 key models like on PCs, and
'standard' without function keys, cursor block and only one set of
alt/ctrl modifiers). Plus different language options for each.