Re: Need your input for keymap configuration

Chris Lawrence writes:
 > [Cc'd since I don't know if you subscribe here.]

Right guess - thanks !

 > m68k: atari, amiga, sun, next, mac, q40 (last uses i386 keymaps I
 > think).  VMEbus systems don't have keyboards, I think.
 >
 > ppc: mac, rs/6000, amiga

OK.

 > > * how may I caracterize each of these archs ?  IIRC I was told about
 > >   some field in a /proc file, but I'd need more precise info,
 > >   ie. exact strings/regexps to match
 >
 > On m68k, it's in /proc/hardware.  I think the xf86config package
 > includes an example of how to detect it.

OK - I'll first look for "/proc/hardware" in kernel sources, I already
have those.

 > > * what to those subarches use for a set keymap ?  It may be obvious
 > >   for some, as we have the amiga, atari, mac, and sun sets of
 > >   keyboards in /usr/share/keymaps/, but as there are several
 > >   generations of machines for some sub-arches, I'd like to know all
 > >   that is is to know in this field.
 >
 > At least on the Amiga, the keyboard interface is backward-compatible
 > (extra keys were added after the A1000, but the keymaps for any other
 > Amiga will work on an A1000).  I believe Ataris are the same.  I know
 > NeXTs had two different types of keyboard interface (one type used
 > Apple's interface, the other was proprietary).  Clueless on Macs and
 > Suns.

Seems we don't have any keymap for the proprietary NeXT keyboards
anyway...

 > BTW, the debconf keyboard selection is really nice and straightforward
 > on Intel; I'm impressed.

Well, I admit it is nice when you don't hit a bug - it has been my
primary source of bug reports in the last weeks :)  And Joey did most
of hard work writing debconf, which was really what we missed for such
a job !

Thanks for the info,
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?