Re: Need your input for keymap configuration

[Cc'd since I don't know if you subscribe here.]

On Nov 16, Yann Dirson wrote:
> As you may have seen from recent bug reports ;), I'm currently adding
> support for debconf-driven keymap choice to console-data and friends,
> but need the following help for ppc/m68k machines:
>
> * what sub-architectures are there for each arch ?
>   My guess: m68k -> atari, amiga, sun, next(, mac) ; ppc -> mac, RS/6000

m68k: atari, amiga, sun, next, mac, q40 (last uses i386 keymaps I
think).  VMEbus systems don't have keyboards, I think.

ppc: mac, rs/6000, amiga

> * how may I caracterize each of these archs ?  IIRC I was told about
>   some field in a /proc file, but I'd need more precise info,
>   ie. exact strings/regexps to match

On m68k, it's in /proc/hardware.  I think the xf86config package
includes an example of how to detect it.

> * what to those subarches use for a set keymap ?  It may be obvious
>   for some, as we have the amiga, atari, mac, and sun sets of
>   keyboards in /usr/share/keymaps/, but as there are several
>   generations of machines for some sub-arches, I'd like to know all
>   that is is to know in this field.

At least on the Amiga, the keyboard interface is backward-compatible
(extra keys were added after the A1000, but the keymaps for any other
Amiga will work on an A1000).  I believe Ataris are the same.  I know
NeXTs had two different types of keyboard interface (one type used
Apple's interface, the other was proprietary).  Clueless on Macs and
Suns.

BTW, the debconf keyboard selection is really nice and straightforward
on Intel; I'm impressed.

Chris
|          Chris Lawrence         |       Get Debian GNU/Linux CDROMs       |
|     <quango@watervalley.net>    |      http://www.lordsutch.com/cds/      |
|     Grad Student, Pol. Sci.     |      Visit the Amiga Web Directory      |
|    University of Mississippi    |     http://www.cucug.org/amiga.html     |