Re: install, XF86Config and co.

Patryk £ogiewa wrote:
> of installation. When dselect went to actual installation it cried that the
> "available" file was not found in (here came the path it was looking for) The
> path ended with "/methods/multi_cd/". I found the freshly updated "available"
> file two levels up in the tree so I made a softlink to it and placed it in the
> proper dir. Being a seasoned unixalike systems user (IRIX, NetBSD) i could do
> it in moment but still it is not what a user should expect (especially a
> novice one). The question is: Whom should I report the problem?

File a bug against dselect. I've also used the multi-cd method, with
CDs created from the official CD images, and did not encounter this
problem.
Give as much information as possible on your bug report as this doesn't
seem
to be a common bug.

> The second problem occured with ppp setup. After editing the relevant files, I
> got informed that "the ppp module is not loaded", although it has been loaded
> "or the kernel is not configured to use ppp"
>
> I must say that I don't know how to "configure the kernel to use ppp" Any
> clues? The kernel is the default 2.0.36 one form the dist.

Make sure you installed the required modules, and try loading them
manually
using modprobe. Note: m68kserial and the appropriate serial module needs
be loaded for ppp to work.

> The third problem is the XF86Config file. After installing all the necessary
> packages, it happened to me that there is still _NO_ XF86Config file on my
> harddrive. Not even a skeleton to reconfigure. Digging the mans to create my
> own from scratch is probably not the best way to get the X running. Can a
> helpful soul send me his/her own xconfigfile or tell me where to look for a
> default skeleton?

Please post which X packages you installed, we need to file a bug against
xfree :-( In the meantime, grab the sample XFConfig from /usr/doc/xfree86
(do a find /usr/doc -name XF86Config.eg).