install problem

Hi to all,

recently, I bought a Quantum Fireball 1.2 GB harddisk as a second and
external drive for my Atari TT to install Debian 2.1 on it. Before, I had
Debian 2.0 installed on an exchangeable SyQuest drive with 270 MB only.
During that first installation of Debian, I didn´t encounter any severe
problems during the base installation. After a breakdown of the power
supply of the SyQuest case, I put it into a box for two drives and added
the Fireball. The internal drive with MagiC 6 on it stays ID 0, the
Fireball has ID 1, the SyQuest´s ID was changed to 2, which means I can´t
boot up this Linux any more (I guess besides the bootargs I only have to
modify the fstab to sdc, if I gain access to the filesystem?).

In contrast to the first successful attempt with Debian 2.0 on the
SyQuest, when trying to install Debian 2.1 on the Fireball drive, I ran
into a blind end. The harddisk was partitioned using HDDriver 7.6. Three
partitions were planned: 700 MB for the system (LNX), 80 MB (SWP) and 300
MB for /home (LNX). Although everything went fine, the partitions weren´t
recognised by the Debian installation program. It insisted that there were
no partitions present on sdb. But on the contrary, fdisk did see the
partitions and even named them correctly as linux native or swap. I tried
several things to convince the Debian install prog that there are
partitions waiting for it: I rebooted the system and started under
SingleTOS, formatted the drive and repartitioned it, I used fdisk to
repartition it. Even the partitions made by fdisk weren´t accepted by the
install program!

How can I solve this mystery? As long as the partitions are not accepted I
can completely forget about going on with the installation!

Thanks in advance,

Kerstin Hoef-Emden

--

	kerstin.hoef-emden@uni-koeln.de