Debian install troubles

I am trying to install the Debian release on a Quadra 610, 20MB RAM,
2.1GB drive. I have the drive partitioned into 1-MacOS, 1-Root, 1-Swap. I
used DiskTool to do the partition formatting. When I launch the Penguin
and BOOT I get to the point in the boot process where it is looking at
the SCSI chain. There it hangs never more to return. I read a blurb about
troubles with some SCSI controller chip sets and that a work around was
to add the line, MAX_SCSI_LUNS=0 to you boot string. If I do this I get
booted all the way to the Installer menus but there are no drives
available. Any ideas?

TIA

 Best Regards,

 Rick Gross