Re: more on the serial ports

>Do we know for sure that setserial actually writes settings to the ports?

No, I don't know that, and I don't think it does since the ports don't
work
after trying it anyway.

>If it does work OK for writing we could use starting setserial multiple times
>to fix the serial port initialization problem?

Udo, I think you're missing it here.  No, it doesn't work, no matter how
many times you try.  It doesn't work at boot, and actually, I don't even
think it runs, as a matter of fact.

Trying it by running setserial from a console doesn't work either.  I
mentioned it the other day...after having tried 'setserial /dev/ttyS0
spd_normal
which did nothing.  Ie, I still had to do it in minicom anyway to get the
port
to work.

> wo> The kernel does see both ports at boot.
>
>With correct I/O and IRQ, I presume?

Can't say, since it doesn't print that at all.  It just acknowledges that
they are there...doesn't report anything at all.  If you try to use
setserial
to display the serial port info, thats when it reports everything as
zeroes.

Paul