Trouble loading modules on my Mac

Hi, I am in the beginning stages of trying to get Linux up and running on
my Centris 650 and cannot seem to load modules.  I am not sure that I
don't need them if I want to, say, install packages via ftp.  At any rate,
I get "illegal instruction" errors followed by what looks like the content
of the computer's registers (filled with mostly zeros).  Sometimes if I
try to load the module a second time it seems to work... until I reboot.
What should I do?  Thanks in advance.

--
Kai "Wheel" LaFortune