Re: Mac Install Problems

Andrew Leahy <aleahy@knox.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>[snip]
> >- copy the resc1440.bin and drv1440.bin floppy images to a directory on the
> >  Mac HD (HFS).
>
> Where are these files?  Do you mean resc1440-mac.bin, which is contained in
> the same directory?  Should we be using drv1440.bin from one of the other
> m68k directories?

Use the mac one. It might contain some fdisk replacement for mac the
others don't have. Rename it, otherwise it won't be found.

> >- copy base2_0.tgz to the Mac HD (no clue if there's a Mac tool to 'cat' the
> >  1.4 MB chunks together).
>
> Done.  (There are no 1.4MB chunks to put together.)

The base2_0.tgz is already put together.

> >- insert the 'rescue floppy'.
>
> I can't do this, but I have a copy of Penguin on my HFS partition.  I got
> the Debian Installation going by using one of the kernels off of the the
> linux-mac site and using root.bin (from the "common" m68k directory) as my
> RAM disk. Is there any difference between this root.bin and root.bin in the
> resc1440-mac.bin image?  Is there anything special about the kernel image in
> resc1440-mac.bin?

Better use the mac one, same reason as above, there might be an fdisk
on it which is needed to detect the right partitions.

> >- start the booter by double clicking on the 'Penguin Prefs' icon. (Don't copy
> >  the rescue floppy contents to disk, the Preferences file seems to contain the
> >  absolute path to kernel and ramdisk. Everything would still be looked for
> >  on the floppy).
> >
> >- grab a coffee ... Macs are slow :-)
> >
> >The kernel should boot and load the ramdisk. Mac floppy isn't supported by
> >Linux/m68k yet, so kernel, modules and base system need to be installed off the
> >HFS filesystem. fdisk -l should help in locating the data partition, and
> >the shell console should be used to cat the base system fragments into
> >base2_0.tgz. I've not tested installation off that boot disk, all based on the
> >old slow dinstall :-)
>
> Is it necessary to install the kernel and modules?  My understanding of the
> state of MacLinux is that the booter must grab the kernel image off of an
> HFS partition. Also, there is only one big base2_0.tgz in the directory,

Its not strictly necessary, but its better t do it. The script will
rename the /etc/conf.modules.dpkg file to its propper name. Also the
kernel symbols will be installed and of cause the modules. Currently
you probably don't have any modules nor the right kernel image but
lets make the install script happy and install it anyway.

> which I've been trying to extract onto my Linux partition:  I've bypassed
> "Install Operating System Kernel and Modules", but the installation chokes
> on "Install the Base System" trying to extract base2_0.tgz from my HFS
> partition.  (It gives the message "unexpected end of file".)
> Is there a way to manually extract base2_0.tgz from the command console?

Change to the second console or to the shell (far down the menu).

cd /target
tar -xzvvf /path/base2_0.tgz

That should do, unless there is no tar on the rescue disk (as I
suspect). Have a look at /bin /usr/bin /sbin /usr/sbin. Theres
probably a star or something similar, which is a smaller tar with less
features than tar.

Another way to check if the base file is corrupted would be to unpack
it on some unix system or on the Mac with
"gzip -d <base2_0.tgz base2_0.tar" and see if that works.

> Thanks for any information.
>
> Andrew Leahy
> aleahy@knox.edu

May the Source be with you.