RE: _bug_ in afdisk

Hi,

>>I think I just discovered a bug in the afdisk ( /debian install disks):
>afdisk?? Are you using an Amiga?? And is it really fdisk, or the partition
Sorry. I meant atari-fdisk. I wanted to save some time with typing less
letters - sorry.

>table code builtin to dinstall?? If I understood Roman right, dinstall
doesn't
>start fdisk anymore but has all the necessary code builtin?
Well I used the install disks from 98 (march perhaps). It is definitively
the pre 2.0 and it uses fdisk.... (ps on another console). If I try fdisk
from the console manually it is the same result. I willt try to get some
new install-disks (ftp.debian.org ?)

>What's the device name for the ATAPI CD-ROM?? If it's hdb, the partition
table
Yes it's hdb....

>code will probably assume it's a disk drive. I don't know what can be done
>about that; the user space code probably can't determine which device is a CD
>and which is a real disk so we would have to add detection of CD block 0
>signatures (if there's such a thing) to the partition table code.
Well there is nothing to be dones except a bugfix to the installation
routine, which does not recognize the (correctly) printed partitions from
hda. (Linux native and so on) Perhaps because of the warnings...

>Try 'fdisk -l' from the shell - same problem?
Yes.

>do swapon and mount from the shell; dinstall should hopefuly detect this.
Alright that's all I need :-)))
Thank you!

Bye, Thomas

------

Thomas Kruse?????? < >? Telefon:? (+49)2501-276527
Heideggerstrasse 4 < >? Fax:????? (+49)2501-276528
48165 Muenster???? < >
G e r m a n y????? < >

EMail:???? tkruse@webdiscount.net
Homepage: http://www.webdiscount.net/tkruse/