Re[2]: Compiling debian packages (part 2)...

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998,  said about 'Re: Compiling debian packages (part 2)...':

>  missing utemp is ok, but root.. well, kind of, but you should not build
>  packages as root but by using fakeroot or sudo

Should I always use -rfakeroot when building packages?

>  install'em ;-)
>  you need both when you upload them, for installing you need only the .deb,
>  you can install it with dpkg just like any other deb, the m68k is in the
>  filename for master to notice for what architecture your deb is, it will be
>  moved to the correct directory after uploading.

Doesn't dpkg-buildpackage install them by itself? I guess I should check them
to see if they actually work in some way... :) If a 'make tests' is present,
would it be enough checking? :) Once I'm sure they work, where should I upload
the two files? Should I register somewhere to gain access?

>  I didn't get the beginning, which utils? When I build packages, they allways
>  start from scrtch with compiling, wether I change the source or not, so the
>  answer could be YES :-)

Let suppose I have a source made for i386 arch, and I need to modify it to
make it work under m68k... My guess is that dpkg-buildpackage will also build
also a *.diff* file somewhere to show the differences between my version and
the other: doesn't it? In such a case, should I modify the ChangeLog or similar?
And, btw, are there some rules to follow in #ifdef's and things like that? Do
have to upload the .diff file somewhere? What should I do if dpkg-buildpackage
insists in including the source inside the package?

>  > PS. BTW, is someone already working on glibc2.0.7-deb?
>  It's allready on master...
>  you can find a copy on:
>  ftp://apserver.experimentalphysik.uni-kiel.de/anonymous/debian-m68k/
>  together with some others. Files found there are only for testing, etc, etc.

Got the 2.0.7pre1.deb files today on my debian mirror.
Thanks a lot for all the infos... I hope to be of some help in the future,
instead of asking silly questions all of the time! :)))

BTW, I have already offered to build the Amiga installation disks, but with
no
answer... I'll need all of the infos on how to build them and what to include...
Anyone on this?

Ciao, Giacomo.

... Le donne sono gli strumenti intercambiabili di un piacere sempre identico (Marcel
Proust)

--
prometeo@flashnet.it