Re: Finally got my Debian system setup...

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Also, please look over the basedisks.sh script in the boot-floppies package.
> That will generate the minimal root needed to bootstrap a system, and will
> pack it into a tar file. This will need some modification for the 68k,
> mostly just changing the package list that it uses.

Well, you're right.  We'll definitely need to change the package list to
remove or replace:

	lilo 		Different versions for Amiga and Atari and ...
	mbr		I don't think we need this at all, but don't quote me
	syslinux	An Amiga version could be written, not sure about rest
	util-linux	Still in the works, I believe

I believe that's the only packages that will cause problems, but what I
intend to do is try to get basedisk to create me a tar file.  Then, I'll
clean off one of my partitions and see what happens.

But, here's a question for you.  How are we going to handle different
package requirements for different architectures?

Will we have separate scripts for each architecture or have one script
that can handle the differences.  Actually, I suppose separate package
lists would be adequate for basedisk.sh, but I haven't looked at the
other scripts yet.

> I'd also be interested in having you look over the rootdisk.sh script.

I'll do that one a little bit later.

Anyway, I'm still tinkering.  I'll have more info (and understanding) later.

Thanks,

Leland

__ Y_ a_ m_ b_ o_ | The leanest, meanest, fightinest sweet tater on Earth!
   oo o  oo o  o  |
    o       o   o | llucius@millcomm.com
 o oo    o     o  |
-- -- -- -- -- -- | http://www.millcomm.com/~llucius       (maybe one day)