Re: Buying less than 100 % food in HD

Sorry for coming late to the bikesheeding party. I'd like to suggest that we
reach out to professionals[1][2][3] and asks for their input on how to
optimize debconf catering. It might also be, that the people in the hostel
don't have much experience with the kind of event and participants like a
debconf.

[1] http://www.gv-nachhaltig.de
[2] http://www.cheftalk.com/f/27/professional-catering
[3] http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com

I have a few questions for us to start with:

- Would it be OK, to serve leftover meals on the next meal, as long as
permitted by applicable law? e.g. leftover Spaghettis, rice and potatos can be
recycled deliciously with the help of some eggs and cheese. This is how we did
it with youth events. We rarely had any food waste in 10 years.

- Would it be OK, to have a small section of the buffet where such "recycled"
food is served? If only 20 people prefer to eat the recycled food before
taking from the fresh food, than there is no waste problem.

- Youth hostels in Germany start to have vegetarian days and in general reduce
their ecological footprint. Is there some of this mindset present in
Heidelberg?

- How do you think about making vegetarian food the "normal" food at debconf
15 and make catering with meat an extra paid option? Having no meat for one or
two weeks is the most normal, healthy thing for the human body.

- @Marga: I don't agree. I think it's an option to risk running out of the
"good" food and serve bread with chease as an exception. I'm used to adapt to
the local customs of every country I visit. If the local custom is to have
dinner at 18:30 than I adapt and I don't expect to have the full selection
still available at 19:50.

Of course all of the above depends on the local kitchen staff to agree and on
applicable law, but I think we should agree first before asking others.

Regards,

Thomas Koch