Re: badges

On 08/13/2014 08:13 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:49:22AM -0700, Matto Marjanovic wrote:
On 08/13/2014 12:47 AM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
Just as a set of facts, here's what we did for DC13:
* Get a small PTouch QL580N label printer with transparent label tape

Ah-ha... a dedicated label printer!
That is an important detail that was lost in last night's discussion.

Because that is not the proposal that was on the table for DC14.  It happens
to be what was done for DC13.

For DC14 we have ready access to general-purpose inkjet and laserjet
machines; I don't see any reason we need specialized hardware for this,
provided that we have appropriate scripts and a workable printer.

Let me clarify the thought which I was trying to express:

 "That is an important detail that was lost in last night's discussion.
  I now understand where the concept of 'print a label on-demand at the
  front-desk' originated, and the context in which it was a reasonable
  thing to do --- that being the context where there is a printer that
  is designed to produce a single label at a time.  It does not make as
  much sense when the equipment is a general-purpose sheet-fed inkjet
  or laser printer and the medium is 8.5x11 sheets with ~30 precut
  labels per sheet --- because that works best for printing 30 labels
  at a time since one typically cannot run those sheets through a
  printer more than once.  Besides, if you are going to go through the
  trouble to deal with positioning the text to appear in the correct
  spot on a sheet of 30 labels, you might as well skip the labels and
  print the text directly onto pristine 6-up badge stock, along with
  the graphics, and waste only 5/6 of the sheet instead of 29/30."

I'm pretty sure that yesterday both I (guy drawing pictures) and Tony
(guy printing pictures) thought that the "printed labels" under
discussion for DC14 referred to using the 8.5x11 sheets close-packed
with many labels on them.  If the master plan involves some other
medium, please clarify.

-m