On 08/13/2014 12:47 AM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
Just as a set of facts, here's what we did for DC13:
* Get a small PTouch QL580N label printer with transparent label tape
Ah-ha... a dedicated label printer!
That is an important detail that was lost in last night's discussion.
* Get "enough" A7-sized two-sided coloured badges for the three attendee
types (Organizer, Volunteer, Attendee), including some DC13-branding.
In fact we ordered A6-sized one-sided with two badges and folded them,
that ended up cheaper. 
Ah-ha... sounds like you had the blank badges mass-printed by a printshop.
That is another important detail that was lost in last night's discussion.
The plan here, as I understand it, is to have Tony print the blank badge
stock himself on a color printer at work --- in which case it is not much
more work to print the user-specific information simultaneously (e.g.,
he has to "lpr badges*.pdf" instead of printing 50 copies of "blanks.pdf").
Certainly less work than printing 300 blank badges, printing 300 labels
on sheets of n-up label stock, and then getting a roomful of monkeys to
put the labels on the badges.
300 * 1 minute = 5 hours of tedium in aggregate
* We printed most attendees' labels, sticked them on the badges
backgrounds and inserted them in the badgeholders before the main
All-in-all, I think that worked quite well and having label-less badge
backgrounds turned out to be quite useful (kids, animals, special-cases,
I would proudly wear a badge emblazoned with "SPECIAL CASE". :)
Thanks for the pointer to the script; I'll check it out.
- Re: badges
- From: Steve Langasek <email@example.com>
- From: Matto Marjanovic <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Re: badges
- From: Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <email@example.com>