Re: badges

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:49:22AM -0700, Matto Marjanovic wrote:
> On 08/13/2014 12:47 AM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> >Just as a set of facts, here's what we did for DC13:
> >* Get a small PTouch QL580N label printer with transparent label tape

> Ah-ha... a dedicated label printer!
> That is an important detail that was lost in last night's discussion.

Because that is not the proposal that was on the table for DC14.  It happens
to be what was done for DC13.

For DC14 we have ready access to general-purpose inkjet and laserjet
machines; I don't see any reason we need specialized hardware for this,
provided that we have appropriate scripts and a workable printer.

> >* Get "enough" A7-sized two-sided coloured badges for the three attendee
> >   types (Organizer, Volunteer, Attendee), including some DC13-branding.
> >   In fact we ordered A6-sized one-sided with two badges and folded them,
> >   that ended up cheaper. [0]

> Ah-ha... sounds like you had the blank badges mass-printed by a printshop.
> That is another important detail that was lost in last night's discussion.

> The plan here, as I understand it, is to have Tony print the blank badge
> stock himself on a color printer at work --- in which case it is not much
> more work to print the user-specific information simultaneously (e.g.,
> he has to "lpr badges*.pdf" instead of printing 50 copies of "blanks.pdf").
> Certainly less work than printing 300 blank badges, printing 300 labels
> on sheets of n-up label stock, and then getting a roomful of monkeys to
> put the labels on the badges.

Yes, for attendees that are registered in advance I think we want to
pre-print the badges fully.

For attendees that are registered on the spot, we can have pre-printed
"blank" badges, plus a printer that can fill in the blanks.