Re: badges

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 09:47:31AM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi Maddog,

> Le mardi, 12 août 2014, 23.51:27 Matto Marjanovic a écrit :
> > Following up on the discussion about badges at tonight's meeting:

> Just as a set of facts, here's what we did for DC13:

> * Get "enough" A7-sized two-sided coloured badges for the three attendee
>   types (Organizer, Volunteer, Attendee), including some DC13-branding.
>   In fact we ordered A6-sized one-sided with two badges and folded them,
>   that ended up cheaper. [0]
> * Get a small PTouch QL580N label printer with transparent label tape
> * Print two small labels per attendee using a combination of penta CSV
>   export, a python script [1], xetex, and cups (+ the non-free ptouch
>   driver AFAIK :'( )
> * We printed most attendees' labels, sticked them on the badges
>   backgrounds and inserted them in the badgeholders before the main
>   arrival day. Having the label printer at hand and a set of badge
>   backgrounds allowed us to correct typos, check Unicode support [2],
>   and eventually swap badge backgrounds on a case-by-case basis.
> * We printed Nickname, Fullname, the list of spoken languages
>   (ISO-639-1) and two small labels for whether the food had been paid
>   (✓) and what food "type" had been requested ("", "veg" or "vegan").
>   The labels haven't seen practical use given the nature of the catering
>   in Le Camp though, but that might be useful depending how that's
>   handled in Portland.

> All-in-all, I think that worked quite well and having label-less badge
> backgrounds turned out to be quite useful (kids, animals, special-cases,
> etc.).

This is actually what I was intending to do this year again, and have Tony
print up the labels with the information we'll want (through a script, of
course, which will magically avail itself to us), which had attendee name,
IRC nick and Debian Role on the labels (IIRC), then Front Desk can affix
those labels to the badges, and print more for new arrivals.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski