Re: DebConf 14 logo design

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:24:39PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Do you think there's room in the logo to incorporate other elements of
> Portland's skyline, as in the logo Brian proposed earlier?  I have no
> strong feelings on this, and will defer to the more design-minded folks to
> sort this question out.

I'm not sure the skyline is as essenitial as the mountain, really. As much
as I think Portland is a fabulous, wonderful, beautiful city (and the
skyline takes my breath away everytime I see it as I drive along the
interstate bridges), I really like the simplicity of the mountain, rose and
river.

That said, my only few suggestions on the existing logo was to add a couple
of leaves to the rose stem and shape the mountain in the background to have
more of Mt Hood's silhouette shape; is that possible?  Maybe toss our
Douglas Fir in there somewhere?  Even without those suggestions, this design
still very much speaks to me (that might be because of how much time I try
to hide from buildings and appreciate the flora of the area) ;)

> The one thing that sticks out to me as needing improvement is the font,
> which I really don't care for at all.  Perhaps we could use the font from
> the Debian logo?  AIUI the font from the original logo is non-free, but
> there is a free approximation here:

>   http://www.abstractfonts.com/search/laudatioc

This font is much softer - I do like it.

> If this font isn't a good fit, I don't mind this much either; this font has
> often been used for the DebConf logos, but not universally (DC11/12 used
> it, DC10/13 did not).  But whether or not we want to use that font in
> particular, the current one is really quite jarring to me.

Agreed.

Thank you so much, Matto! I really look forward to meeting you and buying
you a beer (or wine, your choice!) at the next beering. :)

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski