DebConf 14 logo design

Hi Matto,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 10:12:06AM -0700, Matto Marjanovic wrote:
> [Trying again --- I tried sending this 10 hours ago, but it never
> showed up on the list.  Lingering quietly in a moderation queue?]

There shouldn't be any moderation queue for debconf14-team - dunno where
your message would have wound up.  :/

> On 07/05/13 14:11, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >[Cc:ing debconf14-team@, which is where debconf14 discussions should be
> >happening :)]

> >On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 09:43:12AM -0700, Patty Langasek wrote:
> >>And... we need a logo.

> >>Calling all designers! We need to come up with a DC14 logo for our
> >>sponsorship brochures, for our DC14 talk next month, and for everything
> >>DC14-related. Each DebConf has had its own logo that has incorporated Debian
> >>in some capacity (swirl, lamp, whatever) with something unique to the host

> As a recent PDX transplant but longtime Debian user, I'd like to
> (try to) contribute something... so here is a logo concept I came
> up with.

> It's a bit rough, but if there is favorable interest I can develop
> it further.

I share Patty's enthusiasm for this logo.  Incorporating the swirl into the
rose is very clever - I'm glad we have people in the group who can think in
terms of such things, I certainly can't :)

Do you think there's room in the logo to incorporate other elements of
Portland's skyline, as in the logo Brian proposed earlier?  I have no
strong feelings on this, and will defer to the more design-minded folks to
sort this question out.

The one thing that sticks out to me as needing improvement is the font,
which I really don't care for at all.  Perhaps we could use the font from
the Debian logo?  AIUI the font from the original logo is non-free, but
there is a free approximation here:

  http://www.abstractfonts.com/search/laudatioc

If this font isn't a good fit, I don't mind this much either; this font has
often been used for the DebConf logos, but not universally (DC11/12 used
it, DC10/13 did not).  But whether or not we want to use that font in
particular, the current one is really quite jarring to me.

Can you also share the source for this logo?  (I assume it was originally
done as xcf or svg)

Thanks,