Re: debconf5 - videos of the talks and BOFs available

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> (Sorry for following up to the wrong message, but the list archives
> don't contain the Message-ID)
>
> Perhaps it would be nice if there would be a link to this from the
> dc5video.debian.net site? The latter has been posted all over the net
> (/., DWN, everywhere), whereas these (excellent) scripts are only
> known to those who read this list.

Actually a Google search for "debconf5 dvd" will find them.

>  I've seen at least one person who was
> about to master his own DVD from those videos; that's quite silly if the
> work is already done.
>
> Also, there's a little bug in the makefile (which is really a bug on the
> webserver): there are two files with an extension of .mpg rather than
> .mpeg. The Makefile correctly lists them with the .mpg extension, but
> still tries to download the .mpeg version if the file doesn't exist.

I think I see the problem: there are three rules for building VOBs from
sources with different extensions and if a source file is present then
the corresponding rule will be selected, but if it isn't present make
will always select the first rule and therefore attempt to download a
source file with that extension (.mpeg).  I originally made the target
of the download rule $(TITLE_SOURCES_DL), rather than using patterns,
which would have avoided that problem, but also resulted in the files
being downloaded even if they were already present!  Try replacing the
recoding rules with the following:

TITLE_SOURCES_AVI := $(filter %.avi,$(TITLE_SOURCES_DL))
TITLE_SOURCES_MPEG := $(filter %.mpeg,$(TITLE_SOURCES_DL))
TITLE_SOURCES_MPG := $(filter %.mpg,$(TITLE_SOURCES_DL))

$(patsubst %.avi,$(BUILD_DIR)/%.vob,$(TITLE_SOURCES_AVI)) : $(BUILD_DIR)/%.vob : %.avi
	$(RECODE_COMMANDS)
$(patsubst %.mpeg,$(BUILD_DIR)/%.vob,$(TITLE_SOURCES_MPEG)) : $(BUILD_DIR)/%.vob : %.mpeg
	$(RECODE_COMMANDS)
$(patsubst %.mpg,$(BUILD_DIR)/%.vob,$(TITLE_SOURCES_MPG)) : $(BUILD_DIR)/%.vob : %.mpg
	$(RECODE_COMMANDS)

(Note, there must be a hard tab before "$(RECODE_COMMANDS)", not
spaces.)  The output of "make --dry-run DOWNLOAD=1" suggests that this
will work.

> I ran this overnight and thought the images would've been ready by now,
> but no luck.

Sorry!

> One could of course add some kludges to the Makefile to
> special-case those two files even more, but wouldn't it make more sense
> to just rename them so that they have the right extension?

It's really better to leave the files as they are and make the Makefile
smarter, because people may have already downloaded the files with the
old names.  The only exception I'd make to this was for the filenames
with accents in, which were being treated differently by the different
web servers.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If the facts do not conform to your theory, they must be disposed of.