Re: Debconf20 will be in...

Daniel Lange writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am 20.03.19 um 15:18 schrieb Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana:
>> I'd have liked to have seen a public discussion from DebConf Committee
>> how it was on previous years
>
> We discussed that and preferred a non-public meeting.
> There has been a two hour public bid review meeting cf.
> <http://meetbot.debian.net/debconf-team/2019/debconf-team.2019-01-17-19.58.html>.
>
>>> To make life a bit easier for the many Debian members in Europe, and
>>> those restricted in travel, we would like to have DebConf21 in Europe
>>> again.
>>
>> I think this part is not fair with countries outside Europe.
>> Yesterday on the #debconf utkarsh2102 said: "India would be bidding for
>> 2021."
>
> The Indian team did not agree on a city and there was no sufficiently
> completed bid for DC20 so they dropped out early. We're happy to receive
> a competitive bid for DC21.

We are aware of the reasons for dropping out of the bid for 2020,
considering that was an informal bid from our side.

We will make sure to have a competitive bid for DebConf 2021

> As with Israel for next year, the bid merits will decide.
>
> But with 9 DDs in India and 500 or so in Europe the location is
> important. DebConf is not only for outreach. It is primarily the Debian
> Developers' conference. And yes, we definitely need more DDs from India.
> And from everywhere else, too.

With this condition, we could never have had a DebConf in Taiwan. But
even with a small team we had an amazing DebConf there.
I guess enough people have already reflected on this thread regarding
this aspect.

Regarding the low numbers of Debian Developers in India. We are
continuously trying to change the situation with respect to that. At this
moment there are two Debian Developer applications currently in process
for DD status( including mine ), that will take the total number of DD's to 11. And a few
more people about to apply for DM or DD status in upcoming weeks.

We are also continuously having multiple Debian related events in
different regions of the country, with one of them held just this month
in Delhi. We are into an ongoing effort for having more Debian
Contributors and Developers from India.