Re: Debconf20 will be in...

Rene Engelhard dijo [Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 04:05:35PM +0100]:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:18:44AM -0300, Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana wrote:
> > I think this part is not fair with countries outside Europe.
> > Yesterday on the #debconf utkarsh2102 said: "India would be bidding for
> > 2021."
>
> Neither is it desirable for Developers or other attendees to have half a dozen of
> Debconfs not in Europe.
>
> There once was the (unwritten, happened to just work based in bids)
> "switch continents rule".
>
> DC2: Montreal (Noth America)
> DC3: Norway (Europe)
> DC4: Brazil (South America)
> DC5: Finland (Europe)
> DC6: Mexiko (Middle America)
> DC7: Scotland (Europe)
> DC8: Argentina (South America)
> DC9: Spain (Europe)
> DC10: USA (Noth America)
> DC11: Bosnia & Hercegovina (Europe)
> DC12: Nicaragua (Middle America)
> DC13: Switzerland (Europe)
> DC14: USA (North America)
> DC15: Germany (last one in Europe)
> DC16: South Africa (Africa)
> DC17: Canada (North America)
> DC18: Taiwan (Asia)
> DC19: Brazil (South America)
> DC20: Israel (Asia[1])
> DC21: Lisbon / India / ...

Well, this was not based on hard rules, but on the presented bids. Of
course, the rule influenced bidding teams, and for a long time we had
a seeming equilibrium between America and Europe. Mind you, America is
a bit larger than Europe - The distance between the fathest DebConfs
in Europe (Cáceres and Helsinki) is around 4,000Km; the distance
between Portland and Mar del Plata (farthest DebConfs in America) is
close to 11,000Km. But of course, you know there is much more than
that than only distance...

I agree it's time for DebConf to be in Europe. But one of the main
reasons we haven't been back there is... Prices. It would _for sure_
make sense for DebConf to be closer to (or inside) the region with
greatest DD density, but it's not that we have not had bids there...

> So I completely understand this, it is time for Europe.
>
> India can try 2022?

I agree that _probably_ it will be this way. But if India prepares a
better bid than wherever-in-Europe... Well, it will probably go to
them.

But yes, basically everybody expects DebConf to be back in Europe
since a long time ago... And I do expect it to carry _some_ weight in
next year's decision.