Re: Photo policy for DebConf

On 05.08.2018 17:44, Carl Karsten wrote:
I think it is an excellent compromise

I don't.

I'd like to bring up priorities.

photos are an important way to show what
happens at an event to the world,

Who are these people and why do they need to see photos?

There is no cabal, right?

We are very open, we are inclusive on getting attendees.

Photo help prospective attendees to see how easy it is the dress code of DebConf, how diverse is Debian, how enjoyable it is. It really helps before to come to the first DebConf. How a newcomer can have an idea of what are the famous Debian Hacklabs? The Debian BoFs?

I saw an example of IETF, about they photo policy, but IETF seems much more difficult to enter (it is just an impression, but such photo policy do not help).

I think normal photo in hacklabs, talk rooms, and venues are great opportunity to show how DebConf is really different to other conferences, and also to attack new people. Staged photos (stricting selecting people for a photo) is a very bad outcome.

So please, do not create the "DebConf cabal" (of attendees who know how good is DebConf).

And "apt install anarchism": please do no make complicated rules which has zero effect: we walked in any case on public space, so other people maybe took our photos [and in facts, a photo of DebConf attendees walking on the scooter way were published on social media]. No photo policy could be enforced to other people (but by done by having a closed and guarded DebConf site).

So I'm ok with different colour lanyard, and check if the photo have less than 6 people, but keep us open.

If we have more than 5% of people choosing such lanyard, I think we should stop making DebConfs, butd we all must go to fight the repressive states [instead of doing patches].

ciao
	cate

and we do need them, if only for the
sponsorship report at the end of a debconf.

This is the only reason I have seen in this tread that I feel has
enough weight to consider.

How many photos is needed?

How many shots need to be taken to have a nice pool to select from?

Personally, I think the comfort of every single Debconf attendee is
important enough that they should not be asked to comprise in order to
fulfil the need for making it easy to collect photos.

Video Q&A:  how about
if the person stands up, point and zoom a camera on them
else wide shot of the audience, and don't full screen it.  side by
side is fine.
And don't ask anyone to stand up.

yes, that degrades the value of the video.

I'll point out I just did 53 PyOhio videos with no audience cameras
(mainly because minimal setup time)
No one is complaining about the less than ideal Q&A sections.