Re:[Debconf-team] [DC18] MEET TAIWAN gov't fund: restrictions on travel bursaries

On 03/11/2017, Yao Wei <mwei@lxde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As nattie points out that the speaker travel bursaries may only apply to
> invited speakers, I did a request to Huang, our correspondance to NCTU
> to ask the MEET TAIWAN funding program if there's such restriction.  He
> sent an email to me today that the travel bursaries only apply to
> invited speakers.  Good catch nattie :)
>
> As we have few invited speakers in every DebConf, gwolf said (in
> #debconf-team IRC) that we can pseudo-invite regulars, but I think there
> could be an bad bias where our travel bursaries can apply to.
>
> Nevertheless the speaker travel bursaries seems good but we need to
> "invite" people.  How many do we plan to invite?  And whom should we
> invite?
>
> Best regards,
> Yao Wei

Dear all,

While I might seem naive, I do understand a bit about where it's
coming from, probably the idea of funds are not misused, I failed to
find (an english version) of meet TAIWAN funding program website or
even chinese/taiwanese website for that matter. It would have been
helpful to have a link and look that up.

The name  'meet Taiwan' connotes the idea to promote Taiwan both as a
tourist and business destination.

While I have been to only one Debconf (South Africa 2016) it seems
that the pool of Debianites (if I were to apply that term) is strongly
liberal, democratic and strong privacy advocates, diversity-friendly
at least most of the people I met.

Apart from the contributions made by people on the list on the topic,
I have few requests/suggestions if possible -

a. Please keep money aside to promote Open Day for people for all
walks of life from Taiwan to come, attend and communicate with the
Debian community at large, something on the lines of
https://twitter.com/hackbeach but having more of Taiwanese community
sharing their coolness, understanding with people at Debconf. While it
probably would add more strain to the (I guess) already strained
organizing committee it should bring more richness to an already rich
conference.

b. IF and only if the above can be implemented just maybe people can
toy with having two days of Open Day with one reserved for local
Taiwan community and one for the debian community so there is a bit of
back and forth. I did see 'lightning talks' and small talks which were
entirely out of Debian domain in Debconf so this could be assimilated
in the Open Day format if chosen.

c. After a bit more thinking, I *think* people are mistaken that if
people are given travel
bursaries or even accommodation bursaries or both, they don't spend. I
dunno about others but I spent quite a bit of money sampling and
figuring out South African culture and I'm sure this is a common trait
for most people. Having the bursaries do help but once you are there,
you want to understand and interact with people more and more to
understand the vividness and how different/similar they are to you as
well as music, food etc.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल