[Debconf-team] Questions for the 新竹市 (Hsinchu, Taiwan) Team

Dear Hsinchu team

Thank you for your bid, it looks great so far!

I sometimes see Hsinchu written as HsinChu, are both forms acceptable?
Is one more preferred than the other?

The list of local hardware companies (MediaTek, RealTek, TMSC, DLink,
etc) is impressive. Between the members of the local team, do you know
anyone at these companies and do you know if they'd be willing to
participate and attend at DebConf? I suppose it's too premature to talk
about specific workshops and events but it seems like a stellar
opportunity to open up communication to these companies to improve
ongoing hardware support in Debian. Is that an aspect that you have
considered before? Would you plan to have some specific sessions or just
get people together and let it evolve? (it's fine either way, would just
like to see in which direction you're thinking regarding that).

When I first drafted this e-mail, I already noted that http://g0v.tw/
looks really interesting and that it would make a great organisation to
speak at DC. After seeing your post about Audrey Tang, I think even more
so. Any chance that she would be willing to speak at DC17? I know it's
probably a long shot, but I had to ask :)

The pictures of the city look beautiful, but the only thing I understand
on the signs are the phone numbers. With your experience with foreigners
visiting mini-debconfs and other large local events, how easy is it for
foreigners to get by? If I get lost, would I be able to find my way back
to my accomodation? (and what about late at night if it's 2am already?).
Are there any local apps where I could call a taxi where I could select
my destination in advance? Would I be able to easily find help in an
emergency? Does dialing 112 work? And how about roaming, can foreigners
typically use their home sim cards on Chinese networks (it's always
useful to stay in contact with home if you're not close to a computer).
On that note, is Facebook openly accessable there? Not that I
particularly care, but I'm taking into consideration the first methods
of communication that people will attempt to use when they land there to
tell their family that they have arrived there safely and I'm not that
familiar with the status of the great wall of China and how that affects
Taiwan. If it's possible to get a local prepaid sim card, I suggest you
add that info to your page too along with details from above that you
might consider important.

The hikes sound great! How is pollution there? Would someone who has
asthma or similar conditions have to take any special precautions?

I think it's great that you mention CJKV Localization on your page, it's
fantastic to see a goal that's relevant locally that can attract people
and encourage them to get involved. CJKV support and hardware support
could make great themes for DC17 (just my personal view).

It's great that the bid page has some pictures of local foods, but that
section needs some expansion and information for people who have
specific dietary needs and preferences. Maybe also listing some close-by
supermarkets or online grocers, having that info available for someone
as a last resort when there's nothing close by it eat is quite
important. A listing of close-by restaurants would also be great,
especially if there are vegetarian and vegan restaurants close by.

Your bid has many strong aspects behind it, good luck and thanks again
for the work you have already put in!

-Jonathan