Re: [Debconf-team] Questions for the 新竹市 (Hsinchu, Taiwan) Team

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 12:21:05PM +0200, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> I sometimes see Hsinchu written as HsinChu, are both forms acceptable?
> Is one more preferred than the other?

Both forms are okay.

> The list of local hardware companies (MediaTek, RealTek, TMSC, DLink,
> etc) is impressive. Between the members of the local team, do you know
> anyone at these companies and do you know if they'd be willing to
> participate and attend at DebConf? I suppose it's too premature to talk
> about specific workshops and events but it seems like a stellar
> opportunity to open up communication to these companies to improve
> ongoing hardware support in Debian. Is that an aspect that you have
> considered before? Would you plan to have some specific sessions or just
> get people together and let it evolve? (it's fine either way, would just
> like to see in which direction you're thinking regarding that).
>

> The pictures of the city look beautiful, but the only thing I understand
> on the signs are the phone numbers. With your experience with foreigners
> visiting mini-debconfs and other large local events, how easy is it for
> foreigners to get by? If I get lost, would I be able to find my way back
> to my accomodation? (and what about late at night if it's 2am already?).
> Are there any local apps where I could call a taxi where I could select
> my destination in advance? Would I be able to easily find help in an
> emergency? Does dialing 112 work? And how about roaming, can foreigners
> typically use their home sim cards on Chinese networks (it's always
> useful to stay in contact with home if you're not close to a computer).
> On that note, is Facebook openly accessable there? Not that I
> particularly care, but I'm taking into consideration the first methods
> of communication that people will attempt to use when they land there to
> tell their family that they have arrived there safely and I'm not that
> familiar with the status of the great wall of China and how that affects
> Taiwan. If it's possible to get a local prepaid sim card, I suggest you
> add that info to your page too along with details from above that you
> might consider important.

* Most of the residents in Hsinchu work for high-tech companies, so it
  shall be okay to use English.

* We are not sure about foreigner using their home sim cards on Taiwan
  network, you might need to check with your network provider about it.
  However, we add mobile internet section in wiki [0] in case anyone who
  want to get a prepaid SIM card.

* There is no censorship for Taiwan network, so you can use Facebook or
  whatever you like in Taiwan.

[0] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf18/Bids/Hsinchu#Mobile_Internet

--
ChangZhuo Chen (陳昌倬) <czchen@debian.org>