Re: [Debconf-team] Plan to organise a one-day workshop pre-DebConf

martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> writes:

> also sprach Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debconf.org> [2015-07-21 16:10 +0200]:
>> (Apparently the workshop.xhtml page has been removed from the
>> site, that doesn't help… )
>
> Sorry, the idea is off. You can find the text here:
>
>   https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debconf-data/dc15.git/commit/website/workshop.xhtml?id=d37a7bcdb1d2fb1d88666ad21db4f6f8e84754c1
>
> Thanks for your mail. I think you hit the nail on the head when you
> mentioned trust. We've established I miscommunicated this quite
> a bit, but other than that, people seem to immediately focus on the
> negative aspects, and individual interests, rather than taking
> a step back and assessing the idea more objectively.

How utterly depressing (assuming that you mean by "the idea is off" that
you've cancelled the whole thing).

I do understand that as techies, we're all very highly tuned indeed to
look for potential down-sides in every scenario, but perhaps it's worth
remembering that in order to be reading this list people need to have
fought long and hard to volunteer totally unreasonable amounts of time,
effort and quite often money, despite constant aggravation from all
sides.

Anyone of questionable motives, unless they were astonishingly stupid,
would be able to find any number of more pleasurable ways of getting
their hands on some unearned bounty.

Not that I think it was in this case, but even if something looks to be
in part motivated by drumming up future business, that's just fine. More
people using Debian is great.  More people paying money to Debian
Developers to work on Debian is great.  More people noticing that
Debconf is on, and being persuaded to come and have a look by the
reverse psychology of being charged for the privilege ... is great!

They might even have told their friends and all turned up for the open
day, which might have helped avoid the pathetic spectacle of people
addressing an almost empty room that we normally have to witness.

Cheers, Phil.