Re: [Debconf-team] Plan to organise a one-day workshop pre-DebConf

Adding debconf-sponsors-team, as I would like to hear their input on this.

On 17/07/15 17:20, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

> I see multiple arguments that argue in favour:
>
> * Martin and Michael are amongst those _making_ the DebConf happen: I
> feel it is strictly better to encourage them to run this under the
> DebConf umbrella, than to have them organize something else, elsewhere,
> elsewhen.

I don't think that being orga justifies this.

> * The logistics _are_ in place, and this event will cover its own costs
> (probably even make a benefit).

Well, one think I don't like is that the cost structure has not been
explained. We are being offered to accept this -as part of DebConf-
without understanding anything, we don't even have a translation of the
webpage.

Martin said it is not for profit, but that does not explain to me if it
means that he and Michael are giving the workshop pro-bono, or that they
are taking a standard pay and then there is no surplus that could be
considered profit. Making a profit or getting paid for your work is
perfectly fine, but in the context of Debian and DebConf they mean quite
different things.

Can all orga members organise their own workshops and classes like this?
What would sponsors think? To an outsider this might look like a pretty
good perk to have.. For one, I would love to organise a workshop like
this: the exposure would attract more clients to my business!

Sponsors-team: what do you think?

If it is not a differentiated perk, then why it is different from the
rest of the events at DebConf, I don't see pictures of all the speakers
prominently shown in places, it is not just another event in summit that
was approved by the content team.

> * This is a good opportunity to bring more people to Deb{Conf,Camp,ian},
> also probably from /unusual/ domains. I don't see how this could end up
> wrongly.

We are already overbooked, I don't think we need/want more people. Also,
the people attending this workshop would at most be interested in the
openweekend.

> The only minor thing is that I would allow regular Deb{Conf,Camp}
> attendees to attend it for no additional cost.

Well, it will only be in German, and Martin already said that places are
very limited. So, basically, it won't be really open for debconfers.

--
Martín Ferrari (Tincho)