Re: [Debconf-team] Plan to organise a one-day workshop pre-DebConf

also sprach Martín Ferrari <tincho@debian.org> [2015-07-19 18:34 +0200]:
> Martin said it is not for profit, but that does not explain to me
> if it means that he and Michael are giving the workshop pro-bono,

Yes. Sorry, that was not clear. Michael and I never even thought
a second about taking a cut.

> Can all orga members organise their own workshops and classes like
> this? What would sponsors think? To an outsider this might look
> like a pretty good perk to have.. For one, I would love to
> organise a workshop like this: the exposure would attract more
> clients to my business!

Sure, this is part of the motivation, but a minor one. The main
motivation was to engage with users, learn their needs and pass on
ideas to Debian. Zack's keynote at DC14 was spot on and put the
finger in a wound some of us have been feeling in the last couple of
years. The other main motivation was to get people more interested
in Debian.

For the record, I would like to encourage such events in the future.
DebConf is a context, and if you want to use it for your business,
go ahead. Ultimately, this benefits Debian, and I have no problem if
anyone makes money of our work. It's not like we're in competition
with each other, and we do all have mouths to feed…

I want so also set one thing straight: Michael was conscious of the
Gold Sponsor relation from the very first moment we conceived this
idea. This is why he left all communications to me and never wanted
it to be a sales event. I kinda screwed this up mentioning
credativ's relation to DebConf on the webpage (which has since been
removed).

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org