Re: [Debconf-team] On the "local team"

On 26/09/15 20:40, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Tassia Camoes Araujo <tassia@debian.org> [2015-09-23 23:42 +0200]:
>> Do you think that the Chairs have any issue about the existance of
>> local team? This is not true. For DC16, the local team of Cape
>> Town made the *choice* of working within mixed teams of local and
>> global people. It was not an imposition, and it can still be
>> changed. So I'm still confused about the point of this message.

> Frankly, I don't think the DC16 people knew what they were choosing.

There seems to be an impression circulating around that we somehow
tricked the DC16 people into this.. It is pretty funny, because we went
to talk to them after already convincing ourselves that this was
something that most people wanted (because of discussions in DebCamp),
and we were pretty surprised by their response.

I guess you should ask them -including the signatories of this email-
before complaining about this decision.

> There's been a trend to get rid of the concept of the local team.
> The point of the message is to identify this as a garden path and
> reinstate the common belief that the local team should be embraced
> and supported.
>
> It's good to know that you agree with most of it. I would find it
> interesting to hear the other chairs' positions.

I agree with big parts of it, but I really don't understand what is
being proposed here, or even what is being criticised. That the local
team is asked to join long-lived teams instead of roaming free? Well,
that was one of many points where there was almost universal consensus
last year: that we need institutional memory, clear responsibilities,
and boundaries.

I don't see in this email any concrete proposal on how to improve the
status quo, while respecting what was identified as necessities for
orga. I wonder how many people did the exercise of thinking of how any
particular change will fare with the real orga team, with bid teams
ranging from barely existent to all-encompassing, and how the actual
people involved would work with those rules.

Not to mention that all this is the same old post-decision endless
discussion that everyone complains about. You can find in the minutes of
last year's discussions many comments about the local/global split being
a problem. This year, some other decision was taken, but we keep going
back to it. Next time somebody complains about decisions being
challenged all the time, I will point them to these discussions...

--
Martín Ferrari (Tincho)