Re: [Debconf-team] [Coordination] Timeline changes proposal for DC16

Hello Lucas,

On 25.08.2015 11:48, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 25/08/15 at 11:37 +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
>>
>> Note: food and accommodation is really a yes/no.  But travel
>> sponsorship, which requires a lot more money, is much more difficult. We
>> will not have enough money, IMHO, for most of the requests.
>
> Really? Debian currently has >$300k in reserves. If it's important for
> Debian to have more sponsored attendees, it probably makes sense to
> increase the amount of money we use for that. And then it would become
> the Debian project's problem to raise more money on a regular basis (but
> we do have ideas about that, such as moving from DebConf-targeted
> fundraising to Debian-targeted fundraising, and it's likely that there's
> quite a big margin between what we currently raise and what we could raise
> with a more organized fundraising infrastructure).
>
> (I'm not saying that the debconf sponsors team is doing a poor job --
> they are doing a fantastic job given the options they currently have.
> But, for example, compare
> https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/sponsors and
> https://www.debian.org/partners/)

Right, but this is a fundamental question, which should be discussed
probably with a new thread (maybe also in -project ???).

So I think I misunderstood your point (at beginning of year): I
understood as much *valid* food+accommodation as possible, but without
caring much about travel (in reality more travel, but without much weight).

BTW DC15 team requested to have clearer DebConf goals (but some time,
about bursaries, on the opposite direction). We also asked also the
actual DPL about such common understanding, to cut the actual long
discussions about interpretation of actual goals.  So I welcome such
fundamental discussion about DebConf and DebConf goals.

/me proposes to wait one month before to discuss it, so that now we can
try to have/build a timeline, a team (and the final report).

ciao
	cate