Re: [Debconf-team] [Coordination] Timeline changes proposal for DC16

Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> writes:

> Hello Marga,
>
>> On 24 Aug 2015, at 23:48, Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (…)
>> The pre-registration period is for people that are requesting
>> sponsorship or submitting event proposals.  They would only express
>> their intent on going to DebConf (and DebCamp if applicable) and then
>> fill in the sponsorship fields and/or submit proposals. Nothing else.
>> We can also allow other people to sign up for this, but this would be
>> only in order for them to get notified when actual registration opens.
>
> I agree. Previously it was so, but having a different (simplified) form will help twice: users will see what are the essential data, and we will not have the problem of default when adding new necessary fields (on the later phase).
>
> I like also to change the name.
>
>> When the registration period opens, everyone needs to fill in all
>> their registration data (dates of attendance, t-shirt size, food/accom
>> choice, etc). This avoids a problem that we've had over and over of
>> people filling in random dates when signing up, and then never
>> correcting them,
>
> Fully agree. penta was more in such direction than summit. I think in summit we tried to have “sensible default”, which caused a lot of problems.
>
>> or people registering because we tell them to, but
>> then never reconfirming, because they don't intend to attend anymore.
>
> I don’t follow it. I think we will have the same problem with people
> not registering but with preregistration.

But with calling it preregistration and making clear that it's mostly
for people who request sponsorship there will be less cancelations.

>> The timeline of when things need to happen would be tied to the dates
>> for the conference.  In order for bursaries to have decisions 3 months
>> before the conference (needed for not-so-expensive flight tickets),
>> the pre-registration needs to close 4 months before it.
>> Pre-registration needs to be open at least one month, maybe two.
>
> From past experience, the bursaries needs more than one months. The important part is travel sponsorship, especially for Cape Town, and this take much time.  But let’s see commentary of bursaries team. (OTOH on your timeline, we have 2 months before opening registration and an additional month before sponsored registration close, so enough time.
>
> On past we had A queue and B-C-… queues. Possibly only A queue is
> processed in such timeline (and other people are notified about they
> status), so that when sponsored people cancel, we can move fund to the
> next one.

One month for bursaries is tight, but doable if we are well prepared. 1
1/2 months would be better. It mostly needs someone to drive the process
as David did it this year.

At the bursaries Bof we thought that the idea of sponsoring more people
as others cancel or don't need the sponsorship anymore worked quite well
this year. So we will continue to do that.

Gaudenz