Re: [Debconf-team] Call for volunteers for DebConf sites (for both python/django and html/css/js)

On 13/08/15 15:05, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:

>> On 13 Aug 2015, at 10:30, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:
>>

>> On 13/08/15 09:09, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
>>> Hello DebConfers,
>>>
>>> We are planing the sites for next debconfs and we would like to form a
>>> real team for such website (registration, schedule, homepages).
> (…)
>>
>> Is this something that an Outreachy or GSoC student could contribute to?
>>
>> Have you seen the work Harsh[1] has been doing?  This is probably a
>> useful example of the type of things GSoC students are able to
>> contribute.  Personally, I feel that by modularizing as much as possible
>> it makes it easier for people to get into and work on one area that they
>> are motivated to work in without bumping into anybody else.
>>
>> Another Outreachy round starts soon.  The benefit of any work done in
>> GSoC 2016 may not be ready for DebConf to use until 2017 though
>>

> For GSoC I don’t know if it fit with our plans: On summers we need to have a working system, and probably we will be busy on fixing that system, so I don’t think we will have time for mentoring and a parallel system.

Some things - like creating an enhanced view of the schedule or
rendering it in other formats - may well be useful during the summer
because that is when everybody will look at it and give feedback.  Just
make sure there is a parallel instance that is stable.

Other things, like the registration form, should probably not be
changing during that time before the event.

> Outreachy: I don’t know the plan, maybe it can fit better.
>
> The tasks are not so related to Debian workflow, so new people will have no problem to enter in Debian world.
>
> But I’ll check with the GSoC/Outrachy team about what could we do together.

Maybe some of the DebConf team could discuss this with people around the
GSoC session on Tuesday

Regards,

Daniel