Re: [Debconf-team] Drinking water in HD

On 18/07/15 20:35, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> [2015-07-18 19:11
> +0200]:
>> I think the price quoted in the original email - 15 € for 18.9l -
>> is really expensive.  Here in .ch it is possible to buy 6 bottles
>> at the supermarket, 1.5L each, for CHF 1.50, which is about the
>> same as €1.50 for 9 litres.
>
> 1.5l bottles at a conference IMHO result in a lot of wasted water
> (since people don't finish one bottle before opening the next).
>
> Smaller bottles produce a lot of waste.
>
> And in all cases, we couldn't cool the water. The fountains do
> cool the water as they serve it.

Given the potential cost that has been described, having water at room
temperature is probably quite tolerable.  Chilled water can be
beneficial if the environment is particularly hot and if there is no
airconditioning but it isn't essential.

As for the points about waste: why not give people some tokens for
collecting water bottles?  When they use up all their tokens they have
to pay for more.  This will reduce the number of bottles that are
thrown away.