Re: [Debconf-team] Budget (hopefully) ready for Thursday's discussion / approval

My main interest is to ensure that DC15 is the most successful for the
Debian project. For that, one of the main conditions is that enough
contributors can attend the event. That's why the sponsorship budget is
so important to me: to put it bluntly, I don't care if DC15 will be very
enjoyable for its attendees, if it doesn't benefit the Debian project
because not enough contributors are able to attend.

The sponsorship budget is also a mystery: it varies a lot from year to
year because of various factors (e.g. location), so it's very hard to
know how much will be needed to cover travel costs for a sufficiently
high number of contributors.

Before we commit to expenses that I see as optional from the point of
view of the "success for the Debian project" metric, I would like to
make sure that the sponsorship budget is covered.

We have already seen in this discussion that the 30k€ planned for travel
sponsorship is quite low compared to previous years. I would be fine to
add Debian funds on top of that, but I really think that expecting most
of those 30k€ to come from DebConf fundraising is a reasonable target,
and that this should be funded before funding social activities.

I also have a question about the number of people sponsored for
food+accomodation. In the 35% scenario, how does it compare to previous
years? (both in terms of absolute number of attendees, and in terms of
cost for self-paying attendees)

Now, even if we are still 5 months away from DebConf, I understand that
some specific expenses cannot wait until sufficient sponsorship money
has been raised. I am open to discussing them on a case-by-case basis
when necessary.

Lucas