Re: [Debconf-team] Food [Re: Registration questions]

On 21.02.2015 16:11, martin f krafft wrote:

> At the same time, I think we could try to avoid speaking about
> vegetarians and vegans as "restricted", which has a bit of a
> negative connotation, or so I've been told numerous times now.

Why? It is a restriction of food choice. All of us have food
restrictions. What about "requirement"? (considering that we don't
assume for "vegetarian restriction" with "vegetarian" choice, but "no
meat and fish").

Using "preference", especially on DC15 context (carnivores don't have
guarantee of meat), is IMHO very wrong: it has no guarantee of
vegetarian/vegan food.

We should distinguish requirements from implementation.

> How about making the choices be:
>
> Food preferences: None I like to eat meat and fish No animal
> products for me (vegan, strict vegetarian) Other / allergies
> (contact organisers)

I don't think it is good. As vegetarian, reading such field+choices,
what I should choose?  It is not self-explanatory, it is biased on
people who has more information (so will make people unhappy, so also
Front Desk unhappy).

What does "I like to eat meat and fish" mean?  Meat of fish every
meal? Every day?  So it don't solve the initial problem of partial
vegetarian, which are then feed with too much meat.
Adding text doesn't help [told with my registration hat. For bursaries
we make an exception: it is about money, and if people don't care
about reading text,...]

We should have clear and self-explanatory question, and original
question doesn't limit implementation of vegetarian (and stricter) on
most meals for everybody.

IMHO we should maintain actual dietary requirement, and later
(April/May), we should send all people a personalized mail with food
and accommodation details (and implementing additional questions).
[including room preferences, roommates, etc.]. There we will also
describe our food plan, and some preferences to help to estimate
better the implementation of the plan.  [Personally I'm surprised on
how good the "less meat" proposal is accepted, so possibly we could
make everybody happy by having at end very few exceptions]

Note: "meat every day" could be implemented as optional bacon and eggs
at breakfast: easy to adapt, cheap, and low quantity of meat.

ciao
	cate