Re: [Debconf-team] Food [Re: Registration questions]

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> [2015-02-07 13:44 +0100]:
> > I think we need to address it as proposed by Gaudenz: we should
> > really discuss the issues with the cooks and find with them a good
> > solution, possibly starting with Micah solution.
>
> We are going to meet with them this week to discuss the strategy.

Here's a long-overdue report from what happened in HD. Basically,
maxy, marga and myself took all the input from this discussion and
tried to figure out how to best frame this to the venue, i.e. how to
convince them to serve us a (lacto-ovo) vegetarian baseline with
options for vegans and meat/fish-eaters, etc., as Micah suggested.

To our surprise and joy, we were met with open arms and the venue
made it clear that they are heading this way anyway, and would be
all too delighted to work with us on this.

In this context, I would like to propose to change the summit
registration form to match what the venue will offer (and also
include some text in the registration page, which I can do…).

At the same time, I think we could try to avoid speaking about
vegetarians and vegans as "restricted", which has a bit of
a negative connotation, or so I've been told numerous times now.

How about making the choices be:

  Food preferences:
    None
    I like to eat meat and fish
    No animal products for me (vegan, strict vegetarian)
    Other / allergies (contact organisers)

This still means that people with true restrictions, such as
allergies, have to contact the organisers, but we can't reasonably
ask for all combinations in the form anyway (e.g. gluten-free vegan
and lactose-intolerant meat-eater…).

There's also the question about what to make the default option, and
I think we'llll agree that it'll be one of the first two:

  - Having the default be "none" matches the way the youth hostel
    looks at it, and some will say that that's a sane and
    a most-compatible default.

  - Having the default be "I like meat" means that, based on
    previous numbers, less people have to change away from the
    default, which also works in favour of those who don't read
    instructions.

Anyway, I would appreciate if someone else took this on and drove it
to a decision.

Thanks,

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`