Re: [Debconf-team] Draft schedule format

Hi,

Taking into account Holger's mail here.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 07:42:55PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

> > AFAIK, lunch and dinner would overlap 30 minutes each with
> > talks/events,

As agreed on the last meeting, lunch will be scheduled-talk-free, and
I'd say the same for dinner.

> > and the last 15 minutes of breakfast with the daily announcements.
>
> I personally don't like this. Realistically, especially towards the
> end of the week, people will go to breakfast later and later and
> eventually, some will just dash in at the last second to grab
> whatever they can get.
>
> The daily announcements are an asset to the organisers, so we want
> to ensure that as many people as possible attend. Whether or not
> we'll have a raffle, breakfast having actually ended should help. Of
> course there will still be people choosing to sit at breakfast after
> it's ended, but that's fewer people than those dashing in at the
> last second plus those choosing to stay longer ;)

I would agree also for ending breakfast earlier (but I see in titanpad
that people objected). Another option would be to announce the info at
10:00, in the plenary room and take this into account in schedule/events
time.
What do you think?

> > I don't know if this would be a real problem. Do you think 1h30
> > dedicated for lunch would be enough? Maybe we should have
> > a 2 hours break at noon?
>
> Yeah, I agree. But in the end it's a question of how many slots we
> want to have per day. The proposal I made over at
> https://titanpad.com/dc15-schedule had 6 slots per day,
> non-overlapping breakfast and 2 hours for lunch.

Ok, so we should not overlap with the three main meals (and set this as
a guideline for future conferences, one of the reasons is to respect the
time of video team).

> > Am I missing something?
>
> A few concrete bits of feedback:
>
>   1. no need for "announcements and raffle" on the first day just
>      before the opening session;

Ok.

>   2. the C&W party is indeed on Monday, I'd say. We have to have it
>      either Sunday or Monday, and Sunday is Debian's Birthday and
>      Open Weekend, and I don't think we should conflate those;
>
>   3. also due to the birthday, I think it might make sense to
>      consider the Job Fair to take place on Saturday, which I think
>      will also be the better day for it. Why did you want to
>      schedule it on Sunday?

I don't know if there is a particular reason for this. What is the plan
for the Job Fair and the Birthday party? Madduck, why do you think they
would conflict?

A more judicious option: Birthday party + C&W party the same day.
Another (more realistic?) option: Official scheduled parties every
night.

>   4. finally, the youth hostel has suggested to us that we could
>      replace breakfast+lunch with brunch on selected days. We
>      thought that maybe this would make sense on the last
>      Friday+Saturday, as people will then be quite exhausted and
>      might appreciate a bit of a sleep-in.

Yes, brunch could be fine on those days. Has the hostel specified a time
for that?
We need to decide on this.

>      Instead of talks and events on Saturday, it might even make
>      sense to just have the closing ceremony and maybe an
>      entertaining keynote in the afternoon, and maybe Friday could
>      also be just a hack day, depending on how many slots we want to
>      have/need.

Ok. To be considered...

> These are obviously just thoughts and suggestions and the content
> team has already been doing great work on this. As scheduling does
> depend on the venue a bit, I really appreciate that you guys are
> sharing your plans with us.

Cheers,

Santiago