Re: [Debconf-team] Draft schedule format

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Santiago Ruano Rincón
<santiago@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 07:42:55PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
>> > AFAIK, lunch and dinner would overlap 30 minutes each with
>> > talks/events,
> As agreed on the last meeting, lunch will be scheduled-talk-free, and
> I'd say the same for dinner.

As far as I understood it, the agreement was not to add a whole
scheduled slot over lunch.  If lunch is two hours long, I don't think
there's any problem overlapping half an hour.  As I understand it, the
problem is if we overlap with the majority of it, not with just the
start.

> I would agree also for ending breakfast earlier (but I see in titanpad
> that people objected). Another option would be to announce the info at
> 10:00, in the plenary room and take this into account in schedule/events
> time.
> What do you think?

I think this is making our mornings way too short. The point of the
raffle and announcements was to give people an incentive to be there
early.  If we push everything later, we are reducing the slots way too
much, in my opinion.

> Ok, so we should not overlap with the three main meals (and set this as
> a guideline for future conferences, one of the reasons is to respect the
> time of video team).

There are many reasons and that's one of them. However, when the meal
time is long enough (3 hours for breakfast, 2 hours for lunch/dinner),
I don't think it's a problem to overlap a little bit. The problem is
to overlap with the whole thing, or to leave too little time in
between.

> I don't know if there is a particular reason for this. What is the plan
> for the Job Fair and the Birthday party? Madduck, why do you think they
> would conflict?

There's really no reason to having two special events on the same day.
It just makes more work to us that need to organise it.  It also makes
more sense from the sponsors point of view to have the job fair on
Saturday and not Sunday.

> A more judicious option: Birthday party + C&W party the same day.

How would this be more judicious?

> Another (more realistic?) option: Official scheduled parties every
> night.

Why would this be more realistic?

>>   4. finally, the youth hostel has suggested to us that we could
>>      replace breakfast+lunch with brunch on selected days. We
>>      thought that maybe this would make sense on the last
>>      Friday+Saturday, as people will then be quite exhausted and
>>      might appreciate a bit of a sleep-in.
> Yes, brunch could be fine on those days. Has the hostel specified a time
> for that?
> We need to decide on this.

Personally, I'd rather have this on the Friday before DebConf and then
the Friday of DebConf (i.e. only once per week on a Friday, and not
twice in a row).

--
Besos,
Marga