Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf governance (Re: About the DC15 entity and authority (was: DebConf 15 Legal Entity)

also sprach Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> [2014-04-17 19:17 +0200]:
> Quick two^H^H^Hten cents. Although this doesn't solve the big picture
> question of "DebConf decision making", I do feel that if we want to
> continue to occasionally utilize these temporary purpose-built legal
> entities to help facilitate future DebConfs, we should consider them
> as formal "Debian Trusted Organizations", and have them follow the
> newly documented process that the DPL recently put forth [1].

[without a DC15 hat on]

If you want DCX to e.g. "provide access to Debian's accounts live
data, in a machine-parsable format", then you'd have to provide the
infrastructure for that as I am sure nobody steps up to organize
DebConf with the desire to set up live financial data exchange.

And even if you did provide the infrastructure, it would be bad
enough already to force people all over the world to follow one
standard way of doing books/finances, which may or may not be
completely incompatible with how things are done locally.

And no, I am not talking about far away countries who are not up to
capitalist standards. Even Germany and the US have vastly differing
book-keeping and reporting standards.

If I look further into the criteria, under (5.), I see

  Donations and sponsorship are tax-deductible for the donor

followed by

  There are no major restrictions…

then all I can say is: sure, it makes sense to invest a lot of time
into this if you are setting up a trusted organisation for Debian,
but we are trying to organise a conference here, nothing else.

> I believe this would also address (some of) the concerns that
> Holger raised, and would also bring us closer to realizing the
> desired state that DebConf = Debian.

I don't think that is or should be the desired state. The two are
fundamentally different and we should stop pretending that they
aren't.

Of course, DebConf will always be true to Debian, and Debian will
always be supportive (and glad) of DebConf. They are inseparable,
and always should be.

But Debian is an idealist haven of remotely cooperating people who
strive to make an operating system and keep a community alive and
happy.

DebConf, on the other hand, is an entrepreneurship with real-life
constraints, such as time, including the shifting of large sums of
money and dealing with the outside world in many ways.

While we should always strive to make DebConf be *the* conference
for Debian and while — ideally — the DebConf attendee should be able
to feel as if s/he were in an idealist haven, the way we organise
ourselves to do Debian is *not* the way to make a conference of this
size happen.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org>
: :'  :  DebConf orga team