Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf governance (Re: About the DC15 entity and authority (was: DebConf 15 Legal Entity)

Hi

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> [mostly madduck and aba were discussing some details about german association
> law and power structures...]
>
> which reminds me of a problem / contradiction we had at DebConf13...:
>
> - there is a legal entity, which claims to be responsible to be dealing with
> all the money and expensives and holding the conference... said association.
>
> - and there is, "a Debian entity", these DPL delegated chairs which according
> to the delegation are responsible how Debian assets are handled.
>
> These two can contradict each other, up to the point were I felt useless as
> chair as I was told (by a dc13 board member none the less) that the dc13 board
> had the final say anyway.
>
> _Not_ just saying... this heavily (de)motivated and (de)motivates my
> motivation to be a DebConf chair... when I'm not demotivated about this I
> rather think like in http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-
> meetings/2013/debconf13/high/1089_debconf_governance.ogv - the slides of that
> bof are attached here.

What would you propose instead of founding a legal entity to organize
DebConf then? At least in my view organizing an event of this size
without the legal security of a separate legal body seems insane. At
least in Swiss legislation (and German's is quite similar in the main
points). Not having a legal body makes members of the local team
personally liabale for almost everything. That's not a risk I would be
willing to take.

I agree that these legal setups proved to be difficult in the past. But
I also think that much of the frustration (at least for DC13) was also
based on misunderstandings. If you read our bylaws the DC13 association
board member was just wrong (at least if this was such a general
statement).

I just dont see how an alternative setup without a legal entity to
organize DebConf could work and would really like to have some
suggestions from those that oppose this setup.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.